I discovered this scholarship opportunity today on the Indian Consulate (NYC) website. Please note that the application deadline is June 10, 2010:
The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs announces 100 scholarships under the “Scholarship Program for Diaspora Children” (SPDC) for Persons of Indian Origins (PIO’s) and Non-Resident Indians ( NRI’s) to pursue under graduate courses in Indian Universities.
Highlights of the SPDC 2010 – 11 are:
- 100 scholarships in disciplines such as Engineering/Architecture/Technology, Humanities/Liberal Arts, Science, BBA/BBM, Commerce, Journalism, Hotel Management, Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, and Law.
- 50% of the scholarships are reserved for PIOs. In the event of their non availability, the unfilled slots would be assigned to NRI candidates. NRI candidates whose total family income per month does not exceed an amount equivalent to US $ 2, 250 ( US Dollars two thousand two hundred and fifty only) are eligible.
- Children of NRI candidates should have pursued at least three years of education inclusive of 11th and 12th or equivalent ( not beyond) in a foreign country during the last six years and should have passed the qualifying examination abroad.
- The last date for receipt of duly filled in application forms in the prescribed format by Ed.CIL is 10th June, 2010.
- PIO/NRI students , already studying in India ,will not be eligible under this scheme.
The amount of scholarship admissible is 75% of the total Institutional Economic Cost [tuition, books, etc] or US $3,600 (US dollars three thousand six hundred) per annum, whichever is less.
For details of terms and conditions, including application form, please log on to:
It can also be down loaded from the www.edcilindia.co.in.