Please enjoy Melibee Global’s interview with Dr. Shealy:
Dr. Shealy mentions that the International Beliefs and Values Institute (IBAVI) is hosting a conference next spring and as its title suggests, Sustainable Visions and Global Values: Placing Local Action into Global Context builds upon the complementary missions of the IBAVI by facilitating a dynamic process for civic and global engagement through the IBAVI’s six areas of thematic focus:
- Conflict Resolution—conflicts can be resolved through dialogue, reason, mutual understanding, and reconciliation;
- Human and Minority Rights—human and minority rights are respected and protected;
- Sustainability—the natural resources upon which life depends are preserved;
- Equal Treatment and Access—individuals and groups are neither persecuted nor denied equal access to education or social, legal, political, and economic resources;
- Global Education—educational systems expose students of all ages to the perspectives of individuals, groups, and cultures around the world; and
- Religious and Cultural Understanding—tolerance and understanding supplant hatred and violence in matters of cultural difference and religious faith.
I encourage you to share this information with your students, faculty and colleagues. This event looks like a terrific opportunity for meaningful dialogue about the state of our world and how values impact policy around the globe.